Maintenance Information for WPC Products
- Proper installation of WPC products is critical to reap their benefits and avoid problems over time. Ensure proper spacing between sides and ends of boards during installation to allow for thermal expansion and facilitate proper draining.
- at least 1/8-inch gap is recommended for the ends
- at least 3/16-inch gap is recommended for the sides
- WPCs are generally not designed to be painted or stained. The paints are likely to debond and stains do not absorb properly. WPC decks tend to weather, become porous, and develop mildew.
- Mold/mildew: Use conventional deck cleaners containing sodium hypochlorite and detergent to clean mold/mildew. Cleaners that have phosphoric acid, oxalic acid, hydrochloric acid, or sodium hypochlorite as the active ingredient are recommended.
- Common household degreaser, if used immediately, could remove grease and oil stains.
- Phosphoric acid based cleaner is known to remove rust marks
- WPC decks can be power washed; however, it is recommended to check with the manufacturer
- Always use corrosion resistant fasteners
- Use high quality screws that are self drilling and countersinking
- Contact the WPC manufacturer for specific maintenance and care of your product
Maintenance related literature for wood-based products
Anne W. West. A Guide to Proper Deck Maintenance. Professional Deck Builder Magazine. May-June 2005, pp.12-20.
Cleaners & Coating Guide. Supplement Chart to the May/June 2005 issue of Professional Deck Builder Magazine. Reprints can be ordered at DeckMagazine.com